Friday, October 22, 2010

Cuya to Huara

I am setting up my tent minding my own business and thinking of having a good sleep. The police station is not too far from where the trucks have to register. so you can imagine the noise. A surprising visitor comes knocking, Curt. He has hired a vehicle for the 2 days and has driven all the way from Iquique to see me in Cuya. After reminiscing about all the day's activity we settle in, he in his tent and I in mine. Clever me, I've brought along earplugs, what a blessing. Eish, just when you think you covered all your angles, what should come buzzing in - the mozzies and did they have a field day. 
By 5a.m. the next morning, Curt and I are up and by 6a.m. I am on the road with flashing lights and head lamp. The valley is quiet, not a breeze, my beam of light pierces through sea of darkness as I cycle. The valley floor is flat and after 20km I cross over at Peunta Chiza. Yesterday was a day I would like to clear out of my mind and a good night's rest did just the trick. Now the dreaded Alto Chiza is about to rip me back to reality and with kindness introduces itself to me again. Two days in a row! There must something here I think but with strength of mind I bite the bullet. The climb is only 18km long, the weather is not too bad, the first part of the climb is shrouded in mist.

I continue hoping it will stay like this for some time but it does not last and up ahead the mist is being burned away in front of me and before long the scorching sun is blazing down on me. The sun saps away all my strength and energy. The climb stretches on forever and the top eludes at every turn and the on the final bend the hill is eventually conquered. On the top of this pass is a truck stop with a single cafe. What a godsend. I buy something cold, have lunch and recover.

Once on top of the pass  you stay on the Antiplano. the terrain is undulating and the  wind, my dreaded friend, is there to put a stop to all my  fun. I have now come to understand the dramatic climatic conditions that take place on the Antiplano. The wind has fun with me in the afternoons, I  discovered haha! From here the Puenta Tana (just a bloody dry river bed crossing) comes and with all speed you head down the valley and up the other side with much cursing. My first sighting of the Geoglifos Tiliviche. 
Geoglifos (rock art) Tiliviche
It goes by too quickly. Back down the valley one more time to cross the river bed of Tiliviche and another long climb out.

The crossing to Pisagua is a wonderful time to take a breather. From this point I have another 47km to go to Huara. Its not all plain sailing for me as my funny friend wind has yet to deal me a fair hand. I have to struggle to keep the bike upright and the battle continues all the way to the end ... I'm finished at this point. Distance covered:125km  Time: 8h43

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mecano Man

    See those legs of yours are working overtime :-)
    Thanks for your great pics - really brings your journey to life.

    What has been the reaction of the locals to the "maletjie" cycling alone in the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eugene and Curt -

    We are enjoying your journey, and clearly you are settling in now!

    They say that character id measured on 'not' how one gets to the top, but rather how one gets up from hands and knees (the bad times) and move on again. This is serious character-building stuff and we admire your stamina!!

    To ease the pain:
    Two Nerds on a Tandem
    Two nerds are riding along on a tandem, when suddenly, the one on the front slams on the brakes, gets off and starts letting air out of the tires.

    The one on the back says: "HEY! What are you doing that for!?"

    The first nerd says, "My seat was too high and was hurting my butt. I wanted to lower it a bit."

    So the one in the back has had enought. He jumps off, loosens his own seat and spins it round to face the other direction.

    Now it's the first guy's turn to wonder what's going on. "What are you doing?" he asks his friend.

    "Look mate," says the rider in the back, "if you're going to do stupid stuff like that, I'm going home!!"

    Eugene this quote is a copy and paste of your excursion, as I am certain that popst your trip you will not regret a day on your bike!!
    -- The reason Armstrong has become the world's most indomitable cyclist and America's greatest athlete is two-pronged: He has both the physiology and the passion for his chosen vocation. Still, what truly distances Lance from the (pack) isn't just the pleasure he gleans from being on his bike. All the lads love cycling - and certainly the celebrity it buys them. What they don't share is his love for suffering . . . The more Lance hurts (and) the more wasted he becomes, the happier he is. -- Ends.

    Curt I will take ear plugs to Tankwa the next time we meet! Clearly you are the culprit.

    Best!

    Barry Kok - Robertson Winery

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Eugene
    What an incredible journey - wish i was there too!! Must be awesome...and tough...and inspiring all at the same time. We are so proud of you.

    Have one of those really local specials on me! Remember, we never let this team down.

    You have more spirit of adventure than most! Enjoy.

    Shirley and Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona Hermanus 7.55 amOctober 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM

    Hi Curt and Eugene. I hear that it is pretty dusty and windy out there. The pictures are fantastic - giving us an idea of what you guys are seeing and experiencing. To keep Curt motivated - I have the U2 tickets - lots of slog to get it but I know that I would ahve been in deep @%*^ for not making the effort. All love Fiona, Vincent and Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Euge.........the description of what you see as you go along is amazingly clear. It puts one on the bike alongside you and gives us insight into what you are experiencing. Its so awesome.

    Good luck as you go along and thanks for the stunning photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eugene. I have just seen your Blogg for the 1st time now and have speed read your adventure so far. How many more days is this crazy adventure going to last? Keep those legs moving and will await your next posting with much anticipation. Kevin and Shirley have summed it up pretty well by saying "you have more spirit of adventure than most"...very true and I look forward to chatting to you about this when you get home.

    Keep going
    kelvin & lynne

    ReplyDelete