Sunday, October 3, 2010

Planning the Atacama trip

Just a week or two to go and Curt and I are on our way. We have spent months and months poring over maps and reading blogs and web sites about Chile and travels through the Atacama Desert. Big question still being  asked ,why? I think Sandy is quite right, it's the austerity, the beauty and the open space. It feels like the end of the earth. That's what draws me or is it growing up on the "Kaapse Vlakte" and playing in the sand, I just have a bigger sand pit to play in. So, the why is  always easy to explain.


All previous cycle tours were solo excursions. This would be the first time I have a partner coming along with me on my arduous journey. Two years ago Curt heard of my plans to cycle through Chile starting in the North and ending in Santiago. There in there he decided he would like to accompany me on this journey. He put it down to a mid life crisis.....Oh! boy I thought. "Curt can you cycle? " was my first question ....."no."  " So how do you plan to do this or how are you going to convince me to take you along?" He had it all figured out already. " I think you need someone to record your journey and I am just the person you are looking for. I think more people have to be aware of this, especially kids. They do not have good role models. You are just the person to do this". That said, it's been a special partnership. He has convinced the Amy Biehl Foundation to come on board and we are very glad to be associated with them. We plan to raise funds for the foundation.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip!.................:-)Mymoena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eugene and Curt

    Robert Frost wrote:

    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference"

    Eugene (and Sandy) you have often taken the road less travelled (literally and figuratively) and we have always admired you for it.

    Curt look after our friend - I am sure it will be quite an experience!

    All the best to both of you on your epic journey. Enjoy and be safe.

    brent , cheryl , zeph and yashke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Guys, just bumped into Curt doing a mde dash of last minute prep. Good luck, and above all, savour the journey. Forget the goal; it becomes the journey. Thinking of you both. Si.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good trip mate, if you need help in Santiago, you must be call me, good luck crazy boy....carlos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great trip envy you guys....Faried Zaptron

    ReplyDelete