Monday, November 8, 2010

Along the M5 to Vallenar (102.8km)

Just settling in, Curt and I know exactly what to do. We are old hats at this. Sleeping bags come out and we chat as we begin to settle in for our sleep. Its just after midnight when all of a sudden we hear a truck pull behinds us with lights shining into our little car. Curt and I rise up out of rigor mortis as we are expecting the worst - it must be the carabineros (police). We try to make out what is happening around us. The truck in the mean time turns around and returns to the road and continues on its journey down the road. Curt and I look at each other, curse and go back to sleep.
5h30 comes too soon and Curt and I have a good laugh about the previous night's experience. Its not long before I’m back on the road (ablutions all completed of course). Another day of tedious construction ahead of me today. 40km down the road and the comfort of breakfast breaks the boredom of my pedaling. My journey now continues in silence as the mist surrounds me. As I continue a thick mist descends further and visibility becomes a concern for me. Here the trucks don’t slow done and they continue hurtling down the freeway.
Hours later the mist burns off and not long after Curt arrives bringing along some guests. Curt: I met these two OZ natives deliberating about drawing money, an all too familiar scenario for me. As the English rolled off my tongue I could feel the welcoming embrace and sigh of relief, knowing that there was another English speaking person in close proximity. Laughter and giggles were spread around and they were excited to hear about our tour. They even offered to make a donation there and then, but I declined more out of shock than accounting formality. They followed me to where I was to meet Eugene for his lunch stop. I also meet Suesie and Dave who hail from Melbourne, Australia and there is an exchange of information about travel. We chat about almost everything under the sun. After a few pics we continued on our way inspired to have met such good people.  Another 25km to go and from the top of the valley there is a sharp drop into Vallenar and my immediate concern is what a huge valley to climb out. I cross the Huasco River flood plain and head to the main plaza of the town where Curt and I find accommodation. We plan to spend 2 nights here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys. Well the long and exciting journey is soon at an end so enjoy. take in the smells and the sounds and the sights. Soon to be replaced by taxis, traffic jams, slap chips, the south easter and monday mornings at work. Have fun, see you soon, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the break from the saddle and I have no doubt the two of you are going to have fun exploring and meeting people and sharing stories.
    Enjoy the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi guys,1 more week and you will be sleeping in your own soft beds.reading your blog yesterday made me think of what roy and i always believed, that travelling and meeting new people is the best education there is.enjoy and be safe and have a great flight back to S.A.Vancouver followers

    ReplyDelete