Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vallenar to Incahusi (93.2km)

There is nothing memorable about our stay at this hostel. Mario lives with his mom who is very much in control of things here.  I had a long day ahead and wanted to get out early knowing that there was a long climb ahead.  The town of Vallenar is lifeless and the street lights, murky and dim, made an attempt to light up the streets ahead. The climb starts once I cross the river with a slow ascent up the valley to the four way stop which joined the Pan American Highway. The construction which has accompanied my journey eventually stops here. However, it delivers its final farewell to me. An uphill deviation 2km long with bad corrugation almost makes me lose my balance and fall. The going is very slow. Once out of this mayhem the road improves but the incline does not. The road continues with a gradual incline and changes grade ever so often for the next 30km. A stiff wind adds to my misery (6km/h) as I lean into it. Once over the top the downhill is very short before the next climb waits for me. This continues until I reach the first town of Domeyko and 46km is behind me. I can see today is going to be hill day
The road flattens out for a short while and then it starts to pick up and begins a very steep climb which continues for the next 10km. Once over the short pass the road drops into a stunning  valley with the road meandering  through like a rollercoaster ride which continues all the way to the pueblo of Incahusi.  My destination continues past this little town and I stop at a posada along the road. This is where Curt and I plan to stay the night. 
Trucker with Mapuche Flag
Bags safely in the car we meander over to the posada. After finding out what’s to eat we decide on spaghetti y pollo and huge mugs of coffee. We tuck in and find the meal very tasty much to the delight of the truckers around. We spend another hour there as we are able to use the computer and charge the battery. We thank and greet our host and leave for the comfort of our little suzy. The link will explain the brief history about the Mapuche. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapuche
http://www.cholchol.org/en_mapuche.php

No comments:

Post a Comment