Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Antofagasta to Marker 1249km on the M5 (126.47km)

By 6 o'clock I am back on the road heading out towards the Pan American Highway. At the end of this city the road starts to sweep up from the coast and by now I know what to expect as the road curves its way towards the mountain. The climb is long but not too steep and once out of the pass it continues through the valley. Just on my far right is a railway line that transports ore from the mines as it partners the road and eventually it leads all the way to the Pan American Highway. Once on the M5 road, conditions are better with its rhythmic rise and fall and a slight breeze in my face. I settle into my cycling rhythm and continue on my journey. The occasional gust affects my speed at times and I slow to about 11km/h.
Round about the 75km mark I come across a strange sight, a statue breaks the monotony of the landscape and in the desert appears half a hand out of the ground. It’s about 11m tall. The sculpture by Mario Irrazabal was created in the early 1980’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_the_Desert  
By the afternoon I have a lucky break as the wind has changed direction and is pushing me from behind. I make the most of it and simply pick up the mileage from here. This continues until I stop at Posada Rosaria where I take a break and have 40 winks. By 3 o'clock I am back on the road and with wind behind me, I continue for another hour or so and stop at what is called a Estaciemento (truck resting point) and this is where we decide to stay the night at the 1249km mark on the M5.

7 comments:

  1. hi sounds like a good day of cycling.be safe,interesting to follow you both on your adventure.vancouver bc canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,i cant get a hold of that friend of ours who lives in santiago,stephen theunissen,he pastors at a catholic convent and teaches english at the school,so sorry.oh nice photo's, the one with the huge hand must have left you speechless.and wondered as you got closer what ever could that be in the distance....vancouver bc canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona Hermanus 7.02amNovember 2, 2010 at 10:03 PM

    What an amazing sight! - the hand sticking out of the sand. It must have been awesome seeing that from a distance. Did you try and help? Looking forward to reading the next blog. Love Fiona, Vincent and Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome reading your blog. Keep them coming and enjoy every moment of your trip. Have loads of fun. From Merle Florence

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI my mad friend. Yet again the pictures are fab and i love the hand coming out of the sand. Hope you are not too skinny and maybe with your travelling partner he has kept you in check and made sure you are fed. You probably also have a super t-shirt tan! Love, ciao Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pics are absolutely awesome (and the stories too, of course!) Curt, we want to see more pics of you and your brave little tent. Please e-mail your blogs to me or to Christie Fynn at Getaway so that they can make the link work! Can't wait to see the FULL SLIDE SHOW when you return.
    Enjoy enjoy! Hann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what an awesome sight. The hand coming out of the sand must be something to behold as you approach it. Back on the bike i see. I love picturing the two of you as you find your space for the night........ Figuring out your meal and how to prepare it..........enjoy. Love Arlette & Patrick

    ReplyDelete