Monday, November 8, 2010

Calder to past Copiapo - a truck stop (107km)

Construction, construction, construction is what this day consists of.  The arduous journey to Copiapo is slow and road construction makes a huge impact here. The road runoff or shoulder is broken up and one has to compete for space on the road which in some places pose quite a danger. The road construction swings from right to left and back with heavy construction machinery kicking up dust, while road deviation is the order of the day. Trucks, carrying mainly double loads, are articulated and it was on this road that I witness my first accident. The accident is between one of these twelve wheeler types and a tractor which creates a huge deviation along the road. Just outside the town of Copiapo the road veers off and bypasses the town. It is a fairly new road and built to lessen the burden of heavy road traffic passing through the town of Copiapo. The bypass  is about 30km long before it joins the M5 one more time heading for the next destination of Villanar. 

It is along this stretch of road that I meet Israel and Tino who are from Mexico. They work in the field of mining. At first I’m a bit surprised as they stop their car along the side of the road to take a picture of me on my bicycle. I stop to chat with them: " What are you doing here?" Israel enquires. " Where do you come from? What country are you from?" I explain and both are in absolute astonishment. More pictures are taken and they supply all their details. It is always wonderful to meet and interact with people on the side of the road. This is not the first and it would not be the last. I continue my journey after saying my goodbyes to my new found friends. It’s not long before the road connects up with the Pan American highway, and another deviation to go through before I meet up with Curt. We continue down the road to find a place to rest for the night.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is really awesome..the description of the trip and the photo's are fantastic!!
    Sounds as though you had quite a time fighting with the traffic. I'm not surprised your Mexican friends were astounded at you cycling through the country so far from home. Not many who would be brave enough to tackle such a trip.

    ReplyDelete