Saturday, November 13, 2010

Los Villos to Papudo (90.7km)

Suzi delivers a good night’s sleep. It will be my last night on the road and a third day running without a good shower. By 5h30 we are wrenched out of our sleep. I will leave only when there is sufficient light on the road. The weather is perfect and accompanied by a slight breeze. I’m rolling down the slope when I hear a clicking sound coming from one of my tyres. It’s an all too familiar sound and I stop to investigate. My tyre had picked up a steel pin which is lodged firmly in the tyre. I use a pliers to pull it out and loud whoosh sound accompanies it. Off come the panniers as I have to repair the puncture. I am just finished the operation when Curt arrives and we have something to eat.
I continue with my journey and from this point the road becomes a bit difficult with long rolling hills. Every town one passes has a river crossing which is always accompanied by a steep incline out of the valley. The 92km stretch along this part of the coast is quite fascinating with little bays and quays that jut out into the ocean. Some areas along here are built up while others have sparse housing. I pass sweet smelling blue gum trees which is indigenous around here, the once scrub land is now replaced with bush. My love affair with the Pan American Highway and home for last 3 weeks  comes to an end as I head along the coast on the F30E, a minor road, to the small hamlet of Papudo. This is where we plan to stay for the night. Papudo is a little resort town that comes alive in the high summer season. It is a quaint place with a beautiful beach stretching all along the coast with lots of birds and pelicans that just hang out.

1 comment:

  1. Suzi has been a loyal companion hasn't she. Enjoyed every single km with you too!!
    The pics are really great, thanks so much. Arlette

    ReplyDelete